So you have decided to try WordPress? Awesome! I will show you how to get started. A brief housekeeping before we dive into the matter.
What is WordPress
Wordpress.org or Wordpress.com
These are two different things and it confused me at first. Wordpress.com has limitations compare to Wordpress.org. I found these article that help explained everything check it out
So we have agreed on wordpress.org. This means you are installing WordPress locally on your computer. You are going to use your computer for running and testing the sites before going live. What do you need to have or do
- Install XAMP or WAMP server on your local machine.
- Verify that Apache and MYSQL is working
- Verify that phpMyAdmin is working
- Download WordPress at https://wordpress.org/ to get the latest version. This will download the WordPress .zip file to your local machine.
- Navigate to your XAMPP folder. Locate the htdocs folder. Create a folder “ learningwordpress” inside the htdocs folder.
3. Unzip the WordPress folder, copy it’s content into the “learningwordpress” folder
4. WordPress uses MySQL for database. Open the XAMPP control panel, click on Start for Apache and MYSQL, click on the MySQL Admin to launch the phpMyAdmin.
5. To set up the Database. Click on Database on the top of the launch.
Add a database name, in my case “learningword” and Click Create
6. Visit your site “https://localhost/foldername” to set up config file for WordPress installer. Three important information needed are
- Database name — your database name
- Database username — use “root”
- Database password — leave it blank
Click Submit , run installation and fill in information for your Site
7. Go on to this and Login
and Voila! you have your dashboard. You can now visit your site.
I hope you enjoyed the journey…